Sunday, July 25, 2010

Stormy Leather

I have been to Stormy Leather in San Francisco on two occasions and both times came away with exactly what I wanted. Once I bought Liquid Latex there and the other time I purchased a corset. Both times I walked around the Castro with a particular product in mind but without having success after visiting numerous store.
Stormy Leather was located off the main drag - a block or two from Folsom Street where many of the leather stores are located. I say "was located" because I just found out yesterday (when admiring a corset that happened to be from Stormy Leather) that they completed a 20 year lease, have closed up shop and will be moving to a more desirable location (still in San Francisco) in the fall. They were also recently purchased by JT Stockroom (a reputable company).
Since the store was not as centrally located, our searches began on Folsom Street and grew in radius until we ended up at Stormy. When we were purchasing the latex paint the sales lady simply reached down, pulled out the colors they had, we chose the ones we wanted, bought them and left. It was a great experience, simple and straightforward. If only we had started our search there. Several stores didn't have any liquid latex, one store just had an expired jar that when opened was congealed and another couple stores had only one color. So while our feet hurt and we were tired, we went home happy.
Sadly we hadn't searched the vast inventory of the store, making it only to the check out counter, or we might have known 2 years later (when I wanted a corset) that we should revisit Stormy Leather. We did a little research online and found a few stores that had corsets in the under $400 range in the Folsom Street area. We visited 3 stores with poor results. The first and second didn't have any corsets I liked (mostly mens' leather stuff) and the third place had horrible customer service and none of the corsets seemed to fit right or look great (possibly because we had no help lacing them or because they were just not appealing to me).
When we arrived at Stormy the sales people were once again very helpful, quickly ascertaining what size and styles I might want. I was presented with 5 corsets to try on. When we quickly demonstrated our ineptitude with lacing up a corset one of the salesmen came over. "You just pull the laces like this" he said showing my husband "and then when you have them even you just get a little leverage (putting his knee against my back) and pull." With a little athleticism he got that corset cinched so nice and snug that I had a small waist, big hips and an overflowing bosom. I tried on numerous corsets but I had found love at first sight.
I am eager to return to Stormy leather when they reopen. Until then I will lustfully peruse their website making note of all the things I want (for example Terra Firma Harness and the Sergeant Corset). They seem to be a store with amazing selection, a friendly and knowledgeable staff and no sleazy vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment